Netflix and Cocoon steal time from blog

Two things are stealing time away from the time budget previously allocated to blogging:

1. Netflix. Having a constant supply of movies on-hand that have been on my to-be-watched list for some time is awesome, and I love that I’m getting caught up. But, the blog has suffered.

2. Integrating Documentum with Cocoon. I got my DQL Transformer working some time ago but I ran into a problem transforming the DQL query result with my stylesheet. What sucks is that I had to upgrade my DFC and all of my WDK apps because of my current project, and after that, I discovered the problem. So now I’ve got to figure out if it was the upgrade or something else.

Until now I hadn’t been able to get logging to work from my custom transformer but this problem forced me to work through that. It turned out to be a simple thing that just wasn’t documented clearly. The solution was to use the logger attribute on my transformer declaration in sitemap.xmap like this:

<map:transformer name=”dqlquery” src=”com.navigatorsystems.cocoon.dctm.transformation.XdqlTransformer” logger=”sitemap.transformer.dqlquery”>

The category declaration in logkit.xconf matches up with that like this:

<category log-level=”DEBUG” name=”sitemap.transformer.dqlquery”>
 
<log-target id-ref=”dqlquery”/>
  <log-target id-ref=”error”/>
</category>

The DQL Transformer works like the SQL Transformer. It receives SAX events looking for a query element. When it finds it, it executes the query against Documentum as an XDQL query (ie, the DQL query results get returned as a well-formed XML document). The XML that gets returned gets sent to the next component in the pipeline (like another transformer or a serializer).

I am now back to running on Cocoon 2.1 instead of the version that came with the Cocoon book. And I’m running it on Tomcat 4.1.

This entry was posted in Documentum, XML. Bookmark the permalink.