We had another live broadcast of Alfresco Office Hours today on Google Hangouts on Air. If you missed the broadcast you can watch the recorded session.
Here are my rough notes from today’s session:
CMIS & Apache Chemistry book is now in print
- 43% off promo going through August 5 (discount code pbcmisml)
- 37% off with code 12cmisal
Lightning talks deadline is this weekend!
- Propose your Alfresco Summit 2013 Lightning Talk at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HW93GM6
Why don’t more people use the source code?
- Richard points out that the project structure is large and can be overwhelming
- Agree we could do a better job explaining the structure and pointing to useful sub-projects or other common/useful places in the source code tree
- Here’s a link to source code: http://svn.alfresco.com/repos/alfresco-open-mirror
- Here’s a wiki page that talks more about it: https://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Alfresco_SVN_Development_Environment
Question raised on #alfresco freenode IRC about Share moving away from YUI:
- There are no formal plans to move away from YUI
Forum fix update:
- Have you noticed that tags and alfresco version are being shown in forum posts now?
- When creating posts in the forum, please try to remember to set your Alfresco version.
Alfresco Developer Series stuff moved to github
- Code lives here
- Thinking about converting the actual tutorials themselves to a plain-text based format and checking that in as well. WDYT?
- Need to move that code and all of my other code to the Maven SDK
Speaking of the SDK, it is time for the community to step up and rescue that project
- Engineering is on board with us doing that
- I’ll move the code to github and will then start taking pull requests
- I’d like to get the SDK converted to use Maven
- We should refactor old code if it needs it
- We should add new examples where none exist, like for CMIS, the Public API, and simple Share customizations.
Other projects we need your help on…
Pages marked as needing work on the wiki
- If you don’t have time to work on a page but come across something that is outdated, add that category to the page
Jira bug triage
- I think we can increase the attention community-reported issues get if we can focus engineering on the quality bug reports
- Maybe the community could help triage these
- If you are interested, let me know
Projects on the help wanted page
Organizing local meetups
- Awesome stuff happening in Bay Area (thanks, Amy Currans), United Arab Emirates (thanks, Joseph John)
- New York City meetup is 8/14, Bay Area meetup is 8/15, Sydney meetup is 8/22, Atlanta meetup is 8/27
- Add yours to https://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Local_Communities
As you can see, we covered a lot of ground and had some great discussion. We were even joined for a little while by a fellow community member, Alfresco partner, and Alfresco Summit speaker, Boris Mejias. It could be you next time. See you at Alfresco Office Hours on August 30.