I’m re-visiting a book I got a while back called Setting Up Lamp: Getting Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP Working Together, by Eric Rosebrock, et al. The book serves as a nice punch list for getting everything installed and configured.
Anyway, per the recommendation in the book I was removing Apache from my Linux install so I could manually compile and install Apache 1.3 and I couldn’t get past the make step. It was complaining that it couldn’t find some statically linked shared objects. I tracked it down to a problem with libdl.so.2. I thought maybe my glibc or gcc install was bad or maybe I got over zealous in my removal of Apache and some of the packages that depend on it.
As it turned out, I had some broken links in my /usr/lib caused (I think) a while back when I had to relocate /usr/lib to a different mount point. As soon as I fixed the broken links the compile worked like a charm.